Tuesday 22 January 2013

The things we do for love

So it keeps popping up in my head; what can I do for the one I claim to love. If it was a test, I think I may have failed, the last time she put the question before me. During one of those moments when am engrossed in very deep phone conversations with a few of my very close female buddies, questions like those come up, sometimes these girls simply would want to put the level-headed man in you to test. Well they've always known am not a dummy and that I can play around questions to gratify conventional wisdom. I am particularly in the habit of delving into people's personality with the craftiness and cunning husk that comes with my questions. And to confess, I have for many of the time found out more than I ever deserved to be told. But when you are asked to provide an essay of answers to what you can do to show to someone that you really love them, it seems a little on the spot for me. Conveniently, I would have said "everything"… Oh yes, my philosophical appreciation of loving someone gives justice to that answer but certainly not in Africa or Kumasi in Ghana where I am blogging this...How can I possibly advertise to a lady that I Can do everything or anything for her simply to justify the feeling I Have for her. Well, if she is smart enough, she would recognise the mischief in my eyes and the smell of the deceit that I have spewed out. but you see, in a typical love relationship in Ghana, before you even answer the question, there is a lot  of funny things you may have done already, perhaps in the name of love..but the question still stimulates both my intellectual and emotional curiosity..What are the things I would do for love???? Like I really want to attempt answers.
First of all, am yet to find myself in a very committed relationship where there is space and romantic reason to express love in the wildest estimation...Funny enough, even in those teenage adventures, sometimes people claim to be mimicking love characters like Romeo and Juliet. Funny isn’t it???? That's just the result of reading too many books when you where young, or perhaps watching too many telenovelas...we can always pardon the girls for that, they are created to survive by their fantasies..Now to think that what I feel for some time now is love, then hello, let’s just conclude that there's a lot I Can do for love and by that, I mean real stuffs that can make my lady confess that "dude, you are the best thing that happened to me"
I have no idea how people measure generousity these days, but I  think I Can be reasonably generous; maybe I haven't shown it yet, and it’s okay to think that way in a Ghanaian society where people sometimes wish they were begging as a job..Deep down within me, I know there's that desire to meet people at the point of their needs as much as I Can. The love of my life would be the ultimate beneficiary I think...she may have my food whilst I sleep on empty stomach, she may have my phone whilst my sim card is in my pocket, she may use the bed whilst I Break my back on the floor. She may have the mint whilst I walk with the smell of fish in my mouth. She may have the call credit when my account says " Niggar,you have no call credits”. she may have me beside her bed in the hospital, whilst I Count down minutes to the start of my most difficult exams at Law school. She may need the money for that dress she is crazy about, whilst I lie to my mum that somebody stole the money she asked me to keep. I may still have to drop her off when my boss has been waiting in my office for half an hour. I would dry her clothes on the line and take them off the line whilst she lazily sinks in the sofa. I would ask the boys to leave for the stadium without me when I know she only needs me around to keep her company whilst she watches her favourite telenovela.I would stop being friends with our neighbour’s daughter if I realise she is just not comfortable seeing us together; it’s her I want not my neighbour's daughter. I would help do the cooking once that would please her even if it’s against my wish, I would read her notes to her hearing whilst my own notes are virgin. I would still have to drop her off at church that Sunday when I plan not to be part of the service hence never get close to the chapel. I may have to disappoint family just to be with her. I would call of schedules that may fatten my pockets just to take her to the beach. I would smile to her friends even when I'm in the worst of moods. I would respect her annoying friends so I don't incur her wrath. I would fix a meal for her when she knows she has to. I would say things that would make her smile, I would bring out the optimism in her when she is dazed with disappointments and dizzy with frustrations. She would rely on my sense of hope and take inspiration from my shoulders. I would tell her the truth especially when I have to. I can't be exactly her Romeo, yet the little things that would make her smile and make both of us testify that love is a beautiful feeling I would be prepared to do. I would indeed touch her toe, kiss her forehead and maybe   I should follow with her name once I cough or sing an Efya song for her, just dip my hands into my pocket just to grant her wish and make HER FEEL how special I feel about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment